Monday, March 10, 2014

J is for Just Do It

Over the years I have dealt with countless wannabe transcriptionists who for whatever reason just don't actually start working as a transcriptionist. They come up with so many excuses that in the end I don't actually believe they want to do it. JUST DO IT.

I'll never forget the case of one, (whose name I won't mention), who STILL hasn't started as one and she first approached me years ago.

What equipment do I need?
- a computer
- the internet
- some speakers and headphones

What courses can I take?
- If you can type, then you don't really need a course, unless you want to me a medical transcriptionist then -
- take a medical transcription course.
- Worthwhile but not NECESSARY to take a course in computers or business management

How do I start?
- Advertise, and start. In other words, JUST DO IT!

Can you send me files to practice with?
- No. The files I have belong to my clients and are confidential.

Where can I get files to practice with?
- From the internet.

Will you check them for me?
- Maybe. Well, actually, no, not unless you're going to pay me for my time.

Either you want to do it or you don't, and the best practice is when you're actually working for a client. So - literally - JUST DO IT!


1 comment:

Damaria Senne said...

I get the same issues with writing. I used to get frustrated, because I so wanted to share what I was learning, but in the end, it's up to the person to actually DO.