Friday, November 27, 2009

When do you sleep?

A friend asked me this yesterday and I'm still pondering the answer. The truth is, as a mom of two, a wife, the owner of a busy transcription company - and a person who also likes to have her own life outside of all of this - sleeping does not get the time it should, really.

I find exhaustion is my constant companion, but it's all self imposed, so I don't resent it. I don't have a boss or someone telling me which hours to work, when. So yes, if I work late in the evenings when it's quiet and peaceful in my house, even though I know I have to be up early the next morning, it's my choice, and I believe this is what makes the exhaustion tolerable. Besides, when clients need something done, or there is a transcriptionist with an emergency to sort out, or you have a child with a problem, sleep is not really an option.

I do value though the odd moments of peace and sleep I do get. I guard them fiercely and this I believe is what keeps me going.

1 comment:

Trish Donmall said...

How very true Gaynor. I'm coming up to that time of year when I think sleep and I fall out, but as you say it's self imposed so I don't begrudge it to much, and the plus side is I do get to spend more time with my two girls! So, enjoy what sleep you get and just remember if your body needs more it will tell you!