Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Author series cover pics


I've decided to highlight some of my favourite authors in a series of cover pics. First one is Helene Hanff the author of 84, Charing Cross Road. This has always been and will always be my favourite book. Like her, my dream is to travel - to New York, OR to England:

"“But I don't know, maybe it's just as well I never got there. I dreamed about it for so many years. I used to go to English movies just to look at the streets. I remember years ago a guy I knew told me that people going to England find exactly what they go looking for. I said I'd go looking for the England of English Literature, and he nodded and said: "It's there.”

The picture of Marks and Co has always fascinated me. What deep mysterious treasures and mysteries would I find should I walk through the door? Where was that young woman rushing off to, that she took no notice of arguably what was to becom
e one of the most famous bookshops in the world? What were the gents looking and did they buy? Was Frank Doel in the shop at the time? Reading one of Helene's letters maybe? I will never walk through the door of that shop as it was demolished shortly after the book was published. The shop and the staff, and indeed, Helene, live on in our memories.

No comments: